Saturday, January 5, 2013

Feminism and Buddhism

Lama Tsultrim Allione about Naropa in the 1970s: 
Although I enjoyed living in a Buddhist community, after several years I felt unhappy with the patriarchal, hierarchical, structured organization there. I also felt I was often parroting the words of Trungpa Rinpoche and losing touch with my experience. I was becoming an expert rather than a beginner.
Although I could appreciate the benefits of this structure, I felt the ever-increasing forms and rituals and my attempts to fit into the organization were creating an inner conflict and my practice was not progressing."


"While the critique of patriarchy and the revisioning of Buddhist thought and practice so that it is no longer informed by patriarchal bias is a political, ethical, and spiritual struggle that is essential and ongoing, it must never overshadow commitment to Buddhist practice." bell hooks

No comments:

Post a Comment